[lug] OT: heat sink mounts for AMD opteron dual

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Thu Nov 3 17:55:20 MST 2005

Paul Nowosielski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just started building a new DB server using dual core Opterons.
> The heat sinks needs socket to latch to that was not provided  with the
> processors or the motherboard. There are two holes to place the socket
> however.
Are you missing a pice like this:

   The 754-pin MBs have a plate with two short cylinders at the edges.
   The cylinders have threads and stick up through two holes near the
   socket when the plate is positioned on the backside of the MB and
   the cylinders are are pointing up. The heat sink retention brackets
   then screw into the cylinders.

These plates are MB+Fan specific as far as I know (they have to match
the CPU socket height and the fan clips). They come with the motherboard
or the 3rd party fan packages. You might check with a PC service department
to see if they have extras. I don't know of anyone that stocks these.
You could check with JB Saunders in Boulder or Eagle HiTech in Longmont.