[lug] Can Unix Samba server copy files from Windows shares?

Warren Sanders warren at sandersonline.org
Fri Nov 4 13:15:35 MST 2005

Gordon Golding wrote:

>I have a server in a PC environment. I've set up Samba so people can drag- and-drop their Windows files on a Samba share to back them up.
>
>I want to actively have my Linux server backup those files.
>
>Can I use the Samba server to go out to the PCs and copy files from their Shared Directories?
>
>What other ways are there for my Linux machine to backup the files off the Windows PCs?

I use smb in a script that will mount, run it's backup, then unmount an
XP box.  I use Dirvish (http://dirvish.org) which rsync is its engine.
The main scripts I got from http://wiki.dirvish.org/index.cgi?SmbMount
however I only have one Windows box to contend with so I made
modifications to these scripts that make it more specific to this box.

As far as rsync incrementing a smb share... I haven't noticed any
problem but have seen folks who did and it was date/time related.  The
fix for that was to pass the option --modify-window=2 because Windows
can't always preserve the time stamp to 1 second accuracy.

--
Warren Sanders

believed to be clean.