[lug] Wget Behavior Differnces on Different Machines

Matt Thompson thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu
Tue Nov 8 15:09:56 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 14:55 -0700, Bill Thoen wrote:
> Evelyn Mitchell wrote:
>
> >I don't know why it's failing one place and not the other. I can't see that
> >either session you've included is succeeding.
> >
> >Try a smaller chunk of data, like for a specific state.
> >

> The place it's hanging on is the line:
>
> Connecting to catalog.mso.census.gov[148.129.75.139]:443...
>

> Which occurs on one machine but not on the others. For now I've got
> around the problem by trying the same wget command on another machine,
> and it works perfectly. The only thing I can guess at now is that on the
> machine where it doesn't work, wget is an old version -- 1.8 or so,
> where on the machines where it succeeds the version is 1.10. But I'm
> still curious why in that one case it wanted to access a secure server
> for something , but not in the other cases. The other machines never
> access this secure connection (or at least never log it) but this
> machine does for some reason. And I used the exact same wget
> command-line switches in all cases.

I know there is a --no-check-certificate option.  Maybe there is a bad
handshake?  It doesn't make sense, though, since 1.10 is more strict I
think than 1.08.  But, you could try and see.

Matt
--
The mayfly lives only one day, and sometimes it rains. - Geo. Carlin
   Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/