[lug] Publishing config files

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Fri Nov 11 01:06:47 MST 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 11:47:39PM -0700, Jeff Schroeder wrote:

> My immediate response is to simply pipe the files through sed:
>
> sed -i s/12341234/xxxxxxxx/g config.file
>
> Of course that requires you know the passwords and other "secret" things
> you want to hide.  Your Asterisk example had "12341234" throughout the
> file, so it's an easy fix with the one-liner above.

I want more than what you're suggesting.  What I want is a syntax for saying
within the comments of whatever config file I'm using (with asterisk they
start with ;, with bash they start with #, etc) that I want to substitute A
with B.  I don't want to have to change an external script when A or B
changes.  I think it's much cleaner to put the operator right next to the
thing you're operating on.