[lug] gv questions

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Mon Nov 14 13:59:27 MST 2005

For the past two years I've used gv under SuSE with great success.
Recently I installed Kubuntu and gv is not operating as I expected.
Note that I have also discovered it doesn't run the way I expect under
Sarge either.

The problem...  The postscript files I produce have a title on each page
that includes information I need to see while viewing the files.  gv is
now leaving this part off.  When I view the file it seems the upper
portion of the page has been cropped.  When I open the files with gs the
title is there.  It is also there with ggv.  gs and gv don't work well
for my needs though, so I'd like to figure out what the issue is with gv.

Also, gv is noticeably slower under Kubuntu than SuSE (same hardware).
I'm viewing some postscript files with 500 or pages.  I used to be able
to rapidly page through with <ENTER> or <BACKSPACE>, but now I have to
wait until an image is rendered before moving to the next (or previous)
page.  Is this an xfree86 vs xorg issue?  Would a faster video card
"fix" this?

Gary