[lug] linux from scratch - glibc build error

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Nov 15 14:59:14 MST 2005

I'm trying to follow the instructions in the Linux From Scratch (LFS)
text for building the core distribution.  I've built binutils, gcc and
installed the glibc headers.  But when I try to build glibc (section 5.6
- the first time you build glibc) on Fedora Core 3 (but under the
environment specified by LFS) I run into this error:

/tmp/ccGiggx3.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccGiggx3.s:348: Error: symbol `__divdi3' is already defined
/tmp/ccGiggx3.s:425: Error: symbol `__moddi3' is already defined
/tmp/ccGiggx3.s:516: Error: symbol `__udivdi3' is already defined
/tmp/ccGiggx3.s:554: Error: symbol `__umoddi3' is already defined
make[2]: *** [/mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-build/csu/divdi3.os] Error 1

I googled this but came up empty.  Anyone know why these get redefined
when building glibc?  Anyone tried building the Linux From Scratch
distribution on FC3?

LFS Text: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/
--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |       I refuse to star in your psychodrama.