[lug] Verizon EVDO Speed on Linux

Ken Kinder kkinder at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 17:35:34 MST 2005

I got a Verizon Wireless EVDO card and got the service. It's working well
under Linux as a usbserial device with ohci-usb (even though it's pcmcia). I
had to add these lines to my /etc/ppp/peers/1xevdo script to keep ppp from
disconnecting:

lcp-echo-failure 4
lcp-echo-interval 65535

Now, my issue is that basically under Linux, I get a fraction of the
bandwidth. Under Windows, the connection maintains about 300 kbps, with
about 110 on Linux. Can anyone tell me why? I thought perhaps the serial
speed on the ppp file is the cause, but it seems like changing it doesn't do
anything:

ttyACM0
115200

Thoughts?