[lug] Where to get help on Fedora Core 4?

Elyse M. Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Wed Nov 16 22:00:32 MST 2005

On Wednesday 16 November 2005 07:20 pm, Hugh Brown wrote:
> Siegfried,
>
> Historically, ntfs write support has been iffy at best.  If you want to
> share files back and forth on a dual boot machine, your life will be much
> easier if you create a FAT32 partition and use that as a staging area for
> passing files back and forth.
>
> If you are only interested in reading files off the ntfs partition, then
> you are probably aren't far away from getting the ntfs partition mounted.
>
> The kernel-module-ntfs rpm has a pre-built ntfs kernel driver (i.e. no
> need to go to /usr/src/linux; make menuconfig).
>
> Since the above rpm is installed, you likely need to do:
>
> modprobe ntfs
>
> After you run the above, you should get output from the command
>
> cat /proc/filesystems | grep ntfs
>
> Then you should be able to mount your ntfs partition:
>
> mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/winxp
>
> assuming that the directory /mnt/winxp exists.
>
> After looking at some of the posts on the fedora lists, I feel like I
> should point out that you only need to run make menuconfig in
> /usr/src/linux when you are rebuilding your kernel.  For the stuff that
> you've asked about, you shouldn't need to rebuild your kernel.
>
> As for your samba question, I'd recommend using smbclient to make sure
> that you can connect appropriately.  Then once you can connect
> appropriately, use mount -t smbfs
>
> smbclient -U <username> //BRAUNER/C$
>
> You might also try setting up a different share than the administrative
> one.
>

> Hugh

When I boot to Linux (FC4) I use the NTFS rpm in readonly mode.

When I boot to Windows (XP Pro) I use a module called Ext2fsd (which I found
by googling a couple of years ago) to mount my /home partition readonly.
(happens automatically at boot)

For projects where I need both operating systems, I tend to end up with
twinned directories on the two sides, with contents that may or may not be in
sync.
--
Elyse Grasso

http://www.data-raptors.com    Computers and Technology