[lug] InstallFest, 19 Nov

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Wed Nov 16 22:27:42 MST 2005

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 09:46:52PM -0700, Crawford Rainwater wrote:

> On Wed, November 16, 2005 6:16 pm, Siegfried Heintze said:
> > Will there be folks with expertise to help me with
> >  (1) configuring linksys wrt54g routers for use with linux as a VPN too?
> > If
> > so, maybe I'll pick one up at CompUSA (too bad you could not have this
> > install fest after the thanks giving sales so I could get one very cheap!)
>
> You should be able to use the WRT54G with Linux as well as with M$ or Mac
> OS's I would think.  Most Linksys toys have a web interface for
> configuration as well.

OpenWRT is the most powerful, but hardest to use.

Before you go buy one at a local store, consider this:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware

That's 9 hardware revisions in a couple of years for the WRT54G.  The most
recent version isn't supported by OpenWRT.  If it's like in the past, you
won't be able to tell the hardware revision without opening the box.  I have
several v.2.0 hardware WRT54G's that run very stable, but I did a lot of
research and spent a lot of time to make that happen.  If you want something
easy you might want to go with Sveasoft's firmware or something similar.  I
don't know if they support the newest revision or not.