[lug] virtual machine for linux + windows

Steve Sullivan SteveSullivan
Sat Nov 19 18:35:35 MST 2005

We're interested in running a number-crunching legacy
Windows app on a Linux box, concurrent with other Linux work.
Dual boot won't work since we need concurrent Windows/Linux processing.

Looking at the main vm/emulator software possibilities, I find:

Xen ... windows not yet supported unless we buy new hardware
   with the Intel VT technology

Qemu ... supports windows, but at a terrible performance price

VmWare ... supports windows, but at a terrible financial price :)

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Steve

Steve Sullivan    sullivan at mathcom.com