[lug] Multi OS booting

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sun Nov 20 16:24:30 MST 2005

William Petty wrote:
> If I stay "ALL" SCSI, I may go back to an old trick I used to do. I just
> add a switch somewhere on the front panel and tie it to a higher ID jumper
> on the lowest drive.  Flip the switch and the drive boot order
> reverses.  Of
> course it gets ugly with lots of drives or SCA backplanes.
>
> Thanks, I'm glad to see I am not the only one fighting this problem.

I'd be quite happy if the bios somehow gave sufficient information to
allow the system to choose which controller it uses without setting only
one in the bios.

> P.S. Have you ever reverted a machine from grub back to lilo?

Nope, but then I'm not sure how lilo would choose when mixing IDE and
SCSI. Lilo embeds what it points to directly into the MBR (even if it is
chain loading and pointing at another loader), whereas grub points only
at the config files in some other partition...choose your poison. I've
never really investigated if the syntax of lilo is better able to deal
with this. I'm guessing there are some 64 bit cases that require lilo
(or so I've heard), but I don't know which cases that would be (I'm
stuck in the P2 and P3 era).

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net