[lug] Multi OS booting

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Nov 21 08:41:05 MST 2005

William Petty wrote:
[...]
> If I ever boot with either SCSI drive missing, the bios remaps them and
> nothing boots until I re-run setup and re-order the drives.
>  Windows on sda (ID=0),
>   Linux on sdb (ID=1)
>   Data on hda (Mapped last)

I would think that removing sdb or hda would leave Windows unaffected in
this scenario.

> So, I guess I am up and running, as long as all additional drives have
> higher IDs.

Is that really a problem?  The only thing you really need to be able to
find is the boot loader.  If you can't count on a drive with GRUB being
found you could run GRUB from a floppy.

If you insist on moving drives around then your boot menu and fstab may
not match.  But in grub you can boot from the shell without needing a
correct menu entry.  And if you can set up mount to use labels or UUIDs,
or udev to name your partitions consistently you won't need to change
your fstab.  You could also look for a BIOS that numbers drives the same
no matter what you do to the hardware.

Windows doesn't seem to like partitions that get moved around.  So
either don't do it or talk to the people at 1-800-642-7676.  Or don't
use Windows.  The Windows wizards may know how to make it work though.
If nothing else, there's VMWare.

> Thanks for all of the suggestions. I just wish grub's boot sector
> (Stage1) had the drive/partition info in plain text so it could be
> easily edited. That would have save me two day's worth of futzing
> around!!

Umm...  I must be missing something.  The menu keeps that info in
menu.lst, not the boot sector.  If you boot into the grub shell you can
see what grub actually sees, it isn't "saved" anywhere.

Dave