[lug] growisofs w/Plextor 740A

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Wed Nov 23 10:05:42 MST 2005

Gary Hodges wrote:
> I posted this to linux.debian.user and haven't received any responses.
> I've since installed the same model drive on a very similar machine I
> have local access to (the one in question is in Nevada) and the drive
> worked as one would expect. I have a few extra drives so I think I'll
> just send out another, but maybe someone here will have a suggestion
> that will get things going.
>
> Some additional info and my original post to l.d.u below.
>
> Cheers,
> Gary
>
> nevada:/home/tsi# dmesg | grep hdc
> Kernel command line: auto BOOT_IMAGE=Linux ro root=302 hdc=ide-scsi
> ide_setup: hdc=ide-scsi
Do really need the ide-scsi?
If the kernel version is 2.6 it isn't needed for IDE writers.

> ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
> hdc: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-740A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
I'd suggest updating growisofs. Different drives have different
tolerances for the media they will write. If the newer drive is
a lot faster than the old one, it could be a throughput issue.
You might also try different media. The list had a thread a while
back about good manufacturers.