[lug] growisofs w/Plextor 740A

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Nov 30 21:43:16 MST 2005

Gary Hodges wrote:
[...]
>> I have that drive packed and ready to send.  With Thanksgiving it will
>> be next week before I can get someone there to install the drive.
>> Nothing in the logs during the writing process, but here is what I see
>> when I try to mount the disk.
>>
>> Nov 23 12:54:28 nevada kernel:  I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 1696
>> Nov 23 12:54:28 nevada kernel: Unable to read rock-ridge attributes
>> Nov 23 12:54:28 nevada kernel:  I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 1428
>> Nov 23 12:54:28 nevada kernel: ISOFS: unable to read i-node block
>
> The replacement drive was installed today and I'm getting the same
> results.  The drive that was installed today worked on a local system
> (same model Dell) and OS (Sarge).  So something must have gotten mucked
> up during an update (my guess).  I believe a key to solving this is the
> extended length of time it spends on the "/dev/scd0: writing lead-out"
> portion of the write process.  It takes about two minutes on this vs a
> few seconds on a functioning machine.  I'm in a meeting the rest of the
> week so I won't be able to try suggestions (and respond) right away.

I'd bet on the media being different (and worse at the remote site).
Here's what I'm assuming:

Same hardware (including cabling, motherboard, etc--no bad or inadequate
(too long, 40 vs 80 wire, etc) cables, no hardware incompatibility)

Same kernel (no driver bugs)--even if not the same I'm guessing these
drivers in 2.4 are pretty similar

Same writing software--even if not the same I doubt a bug like this in Sarge

You can use dpkg -l to check the two machines and see what software is
different.

The difference in lead-out times suggests a difference in how the disk
is being written (speed, power) rather than a software difference.

Just a guess, HTH.
Dave