[lug] growisofs w/Plextor 740A

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Mon Dec 5 14:00:47 MST 2005

David L. Anselmi wrote:

> Gary Hodges wrote:

> [...]
>
>>> I have that drive packed and ready to send.  With Thanksgiving it
>>> will be next week before I can get someone there to install the
>>> drive.  Nothing in the logs during the writing process, but here is
>>> what I see when I try to mount the disk.
>>>
>>> Nov 23 12:54:28 nevada kernel:  I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 1696
>>> Nov 23 12:54:28 nevada kernel: Unable to read rock-ridge attributes
>>> Nov 23 12:54:28 nevada kernel:  I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 1428
>>> Nov 23 12:54:28 nevada kernel: ISOFS: unable to read i-node block
>>

>> The replacement drive was installed today and I'm getting the same
>> results.  The drive that was installed today worked on a local system
>> (same model Dell) and OS (Sarge).  So something must have gotten
>> mucked up during an update (my guess).  I believe a key to solving
>> this is the extended length of time it spends on the "/dev/scd0:
>> writing lead-out" portion of the write process.  It takes about two
>> minutes on this vs a few seconds on a functioning machine.  I'm in a
>> meeting the rest of the week so I won't be able to try suggestions
>> (and respond) right away.
>

> I'd bet on the media being different (and worse at the remote site).
> Here's what I'm assuming:

Well, you would win that bet.  Mostly.  The media are the same at both
places.  I bought a bunch of Sony disks a while back and have been using
them at all my sites.  Today my contact put in a new disk he had (Sony
too) and it is working fine.  So, for some reason the stack of disks I
left there this past spring aren't working.  At least three of them
anyway.

It looks like Taiyo Yuden doesn't make DVD+RW media.  Anyone have
suggestions on excellent +RW media?

Gary