[lug] Re: Problem with resolving

Ken Kinder kkinder at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 17:33:27 MST 2005

On 12/5/05, Ken Kinder <kkinder at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't have that modem anymore, but I recall running something like
> nslookup -timeout=3 (domain) and watching the modem intermittently
> fail to resolve names.
>
> I'd urge you to just use a real name server or get a new modem. I had
> this same problem and I attributed it to the flaky modem. Qwest,
> needless to say, was of no help at all.

This may well be the culprit: ActionTEC modems don't like IPv6:

http://balrog.nmglug.org/pipermail/nmglug/2005-August/001185.html

I would still just bypass the modem for DNS. But it looks like it
works OK for IPv4, which explains why the problem doesn't occur for
Windows boxes and therefor Qwest's general user base.