[lug] Backing up file attributes

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Sun Dec 18 00:27:25 MST 2005

What is the best way to create a mirror on a remote system where you don't
have root access, yet be able to recover file attributes like owner, group,
and permissions?  rsync -avz or rdiff-backup is usually how I make mirrors,
but that obviously doesn't work if you don't have root.

I was originally thinking about using fakeroot, but it doesn't work at all on
my systems:

$ fakeroot
$ whoami
webb

(this is the example straight out of the man page, except it's supposed to say
"root", of course)

I filed a Debian bug report a couple of days ago, but you know how that goes.
So I need another solution.  Maybe something that saves the attribues to a
file in each directory and then reverses that during recovery.  Know of
anything simple like that so I don't have to write it myself?