[lug] Mozilla mail: won't connect to server

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Mon Dec 19 03:30:51 MST 2005

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 10:42:01PM -0600, Hugh Brown wrote:

> Which version of debian?  My kids and brother have all used thunderbird
> w/ no problem on a sarge install.

I have many installs of Thunderbird on sarge without problems as well.  When I
have weird problems like this it usually turns out to be a strange interaction
with some distant but related package.

I get X connections refused all the time because I forget and use "su" instead
of ssh within the shell, but I assume you're talking about something else
since you say they're the only apps that do this.  Somehow the in path from
the original X server to thunderbird/mozilla you're losing your X
authentication.  I wonder if the execution script is breaking or if you're
calling mozilla from within a "su" statement or something similar?  Are you
running mozilla from a KDE menu or button?  Try from a shell that's the same
user as the one that ran KDE and see what happens.

Try ethereal to watch the network if you can't figure anything else.