[lug] Backup

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Tue Dec 20 15:12:37 MST 2005

A RAID setup should look like a single physical drive.  It offers no
protection whatsoever against hackers, malicious users or brain farts.

Simple copies to a single backup media offers extremely thin protection
from viruses.  The problem is that there's a very high risk that you
won't know you've been infected until your backup has also been
compromised.  You either need to either use a versioning backup (e.g.,
rdiff-backup) or rotate media.

Finally, swapping hard disks is so last century.  (Says he with a number
of IDE trays.)  You can get inexpensive external USB drives and even
network drives.  There's no need to physically open the case and risk
bending pins or pinching cables.

Related question: does anyone know if the cheap consumer-grade network
drives supports anything other than windows filesystems & protocols?
E.g., via a downloadable flash update?

Bear