[lug] Backup

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Tue Dec 20 15:20:25 MST 2005

* On 2005-12-20 14:44 Siegfried Heintze <siegfried at heintze.com> wrote:
> I would like to see of discussion of RAID for home office systems. After
> discussing my home office software consulting needs with some local
> retailers, they talked me out of RAID because RAID only protects against
> hardware failures and not hackers. I was hacked approx 18 months ago and it
> was mighty painful rebuilding my disk -- even with backups.

RAID is not a backup.

Even without hackers, you need backups to protect against "fat fingers" and
pbkacs (problem between keyboard and chair). It's just too easy to move a
file to the wrong place, or delete something by accident, not to have
backups.

We're using a parent/grandparent backup system, which saves copies
going back in time. So you can recover not just the last saved copy,
but a copy from 2 weeks or 2 months ago. With storage space so cheap,
and human frailty a constant, it's a good compromise.

jafo's going to write up details of our home storage system, and will
blog about it here (soon): http://www.tummy.com/journals/users/jafo

                            http://www.tummy.com/