[lug] Backup

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Dec 20 21:33:35 MST 2005

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 03:57:37PM -0700, Zan Lynx wrote:
>RAID is handy for when the drives do fail, which *will* happen.  (Says

I can't remember the last time I lost data because of a hard drive failure.
I'm directly responsible for something around 100 hard drives at tummy.com,
and just rarely have problems.

The sad thing is how often RAID leads to data loss.  Really.  Because so
many people think of RAID as "backups", they often neglect regular backups.
Worse, they tend to not set up RAID monitoring.  Funny how there's always
time to set up RAID, but not time to set up backups or RAID monitoring.
We get the calls when the SECOND drive in the RAID array fails.  Those are
new clients, our new system workflows make sure that we get new systems set
up with monitoring.

Backups are the most important thing you can do if you care about your
data.  Then consider RAID once you have committed to backups.

Thanks,
Sean
--
 "It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling
 exception, is composed of others."  -- John Andrew Holmes