[lug] Throttling rsync

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Thu Dec 22 14:52:02 MST 2005

Hey all--

Does anyone know if it's possible to throttle the bandwidth used by
rsync between two servers?  I have a backup job that copies several GB
of data from one server to another, across the internet.  Although most
of the time I'd want backups to proceed lickety-split, in this instance
there's no rush and more importantly I'm paying for bandwidth usage at
the 95th percentile.  These bursts of traffic lasting an hour or more
push my overall bandwidth levels upward, costing me money in
surcharges.

I could probably hack something together using iptables or iproute2--
they could throttle bandwidth on a certain IP or something-- but I
don't want to scale back the server as a whole.  It's just this single
rsync process that needs to be slowed.

Any ideas?

TIA,
Jeff