[lug] Throttling rsync

D. Frye dafr at dafr.us
Thu Dec 22 15:32:24 MST 2005

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 02:52:02PM -0700, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
} Hey all--
}
} Does anyone know if it's possible to throttle the bandwidth used by
} rsync between two servers?  I have a backup job that copies several GB
} of data from one server to another, across the internet.  Although most
} of the time I'd want backups to proceed lickety-split, in this instance
} there's no rush and more importantly I'm paying for bandwidth usage at
} the 95th percentile.  These bursts of traffic lasting an hour or more
} push my overall bandwidth levels upward, costing me money in
} surcharges.
}
} I could probably hack something together using iptables or iproute2--
} they could throttle bandwidth on a certain IP or something-- but I
} don't want to scale back the server as a whole.  It's just this single
} rsync process that needs to be slowed.
}
} Any ideas?

Keeping in mind that I have never used it, the "--bwlimit" flag looks
like it will do exactly what you are looking for. You might need a bit
of trial and error to figure out what setting works best for you.

dafr

--

D. Frye
dafr AT dafr.us