[lug] Backup

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Dec 22 19:30:36 MST 2005

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
[...]
> I have been using Hitachi/IBM drives, and they seem to be quite solid.

I just had one of these fail, after 5 years of part-time use.

> I *HAVE* found cooling to be a problem in some cases.

The failed drive is hot now, when I'm recovering data from it.  I take
that to be a symptom rather than a cause.  The case has 2 fans so
although the drive doesn't get its own fan it shouldn't be any hotter
than room temp.

Wonder if there's a SMART reading for temp?  Cool, there is--hddtemp, at
least for drives recent enough to support it (mine is, thanks to the
mentioned failure).

Dave