[lug] Backup

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Thu Dec 22 20:50:54 MST 2005

As a total aside, Scientific American had an interesting article on the
C^3I for the land-based nukes.  As I recall:....

Each set of silos was controlled by four pods, each with two duty
officers.  The pods were physically separated to increase survivability
of a voting quorum.

Each pod "voted" by having the officers turn the keys simultaneously.
The switches had both a "launch" and a "no launch" position.

One launch vote would not be enough to launch a missile.

Two launch votes (within a specified time window) would launch all
missiles.  But see below....

Two launch votes and one no-launch votes WOULD NOT launch any missiles.

Three launch votes and one no-launch vote WOULD launch all missiles.

To take control of the silos you would need at least 6 officers present
in three different pods within th same complex.  A single dissenting pod
could be overruled, but there would be no launch in the case of a tie.

Where it gets really interesting is that a "launch command" did not
necessarily mean to launch.  The code could be to launch immediately, to
wait minutes, hours or even days... or even to wait indefinitely.  In
the latter case a single pod (with new launch codes) could cause an
immediate launch.

On a darker note this -
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/12/22/141837/13 - discusses how
close we came to a nuclear war in 1983 due to a computer malfunction.
Fortunately there was a human involved, even though it cost him his
career.  Ditto the Cuban missile crisis -- I recently read of an account
where an officer at the scene - violating orders - refrained from using
a nuke.  In that case it would have been a nuke torpedo off the coast of
Florida.

That's something to remember as the current administration attempts to
drive all human judgement out of the loop.

Bear