[lug] Backup

Siegfried Heintze siegfried at heintze.com
Tue Dec 27 22:21:38 MST 2005

Regarding our earlier discussion on December 20:

So let us suppose I get hacked or type fdisk by accident or a drive fails.

Do I have a disk to boot from if
(1) I buy hosting and send rdiff backups off site?
(2) I backup to a USB disk?
(3) I backup to a consumer grade network disk?

I believe in each scenario, I have to get out the installation CDs/DVDs and
install the operating system to boot. If it is a hardware failure, I have to
purchase a new hard drive. I'm really slow and it takes me a terribly long
time to rebuild a dual boot windows/linux system by the time you include all
the software development software.

I guess one can boot from the network, but I don't know if my network card
has the required capabilities. How do I tell? If I do have that capability
int my network card, would I be booting from another PC's drive or could
this be a consumer grade NAS or SAN (assume there are such things).

Is there a better way to mitigate this other than my procedure of weekly
connecting a second drive and using "telinit 1 ; cp /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2"?

Thanks,
Siegfried