[lug] Backup

Siegfried Heintze siegfried at heintze.com
Tue Dec 27 23:57:36 MST 2005

Is there anyone that attends the install fests that has hacked a linksys
NSLU2 NAS controller successfully and would be willing to help someone hack
a NSLU2?

And let us suppose I successfully hack a NSLU2 NAS controller, get a network
card with the network boot prom on it and successfully follow the
Network-boot-HOWTO so I could boot either from a local disk or the network
control. (whew! After my experience with hacking a LinkSys WRT54G I'm not
sure my odds are very good here).

This would save me the trouble of popping off my case once a week and
physically connecting my spare drive to do a backup of the boot disk? How
would I copy the local disk image to the network boot disk?

One thing I like about having a spare identical disk physically disconnected
is that it is *extremely* difficult for a hacker (or me) to destroy it. If I
had a network disk always connected, does this not make it more vulnerable
to power surges (yeah, I have a surge protector), hardware failures, fat
fingers and hackers?

Are surge protectors as effective for protecting disks as disconnected
power/data cables?

Siegfried