[lug] Backup

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Dec 28 12:53:09 MST 2005

Siegfried Heintze wrote:
> Bear,
> Can you elaborate a bit on the $20 surcharge? What is that? Is this
> something you pay to LinkSys?
>
> What do you mean "you could still make the flash image freely available".
> I'm assuming that this NAS controller is just like the LinkSys WRT54G router
> where someone else has compiled the flash ROM image and you download it to
> you PC and perform a firmware upgrade and *presto* your perripheral is
> running linux.
> Sieg

The word I was searching for was productization, not commodization.

My point is that there's a lot more people who can use a NFS-aware NAS
than people with the time and inclination to flash a firmware upgrade.
If you have both you might do it for free a few times, but after a while
  you'll probably either stop bothering or will insist on treating it as
a very short fixed cost service contract.

Bear