[lug] Superblock in the future?

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Thu Dec 29 22:14:07 MST 2005

> So I hook up the new monitor and decide (perhaps foolishly) that I
> should use the DVI jack since that's better and the graphics card had
> a DVI port.  The laptop failed to boot as it was checking the file
> system.  It printed out this message:
>
> Checking root file system.../: Superblock last write time is in the future.

Do you know if the monitor works on the DVI of any other video card? I'm
just wondering if you can guarantee that the monitor DVI port is
functioning correctly.

One thing that comes to mind is a brown-out/low voltage, which is far
worse than just losing power. During a low voltage bits can be randomly
flipped without any real way of knowing its happening. If the monitor
were malfunctioning (or the DVI port of the vid card) I could see the
possibility of the system power getting a dose of low voltage.

I'm also reminded of some talk a few years back concerning power saver
modes in laptops, where it would change clocking to save energy...if
other parts of the system didn't know it was doing it, strange things
could happen. Does your bios have a setting you could test which forces
it to not use power saver modes?

FYI, no matter what the cause, I'd want to know if I could boot off of
knoppix and at least read the partition and safely explore.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net