[lug] Graphics card trouble

Steve Sullivan SteveSullivan
Sun Jan 1 14:13:35 MST 2006

Hi,
I'm installing Suse 10 on a box with a eVGA GeForce 6600 LE graphics card
and a ViewSonic VX724 1280x1024 flat panel.
During installation I don't tweak any graphics/monitor options,
and the install goes well.  The install reports 1280x1024 at 24 bits.
There are no video problems ... until I finally boot the installed system.

During booting the normal messages scroll by until X starts.
Then the monitor shows two columns of unreadably tiny boot messages
and a bars of random color at the top and bottom.  The cursor is a 1-inch
square of random colors.  A screenshot is at
  http://www.mathcom.com/graphics.question.jpg
That colored square to the right of center is the cursor and
moves with the mouse.

I tried logging in with failsafe mode, which works.
Then issuing "startx" gives the same results.
Using ctl-alt-backspace does nothing: only reboot works at this point.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Steve

Steve Sullivan    sullivan at mathcom.com