[lug] Graphics card trouble

Matt Thompson thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu
Mon Jan 2 08:45:51 MST 2006

Steve Sullivan <Steve Sullivan wrote:
> Here's the xorg.conf and the output from startx.

OK, looking at that file, there are maybe a few things.  First, save a
copy so you can edit it with fear (although it doesn't really work).

First off, I'd probably remove the modelines unless you know you need
them, they usually just confuse me.  I'd probably stick with just a
Screen, Monitor, and Device section.  And in Device, I'd get rid of
those Xaa options.  Only power-users who love debugging use those.

I'm including the sections below as I'd have them.  Some things, like
the BusID of the card, you'd know, although unless you have two cards,
you shouldn't need to have that line.  I've also changed the VertRefresh
of your panel to what ViewSonic uses.  The DisplaySize looks right, but
you'll probably need a ruler to get it perfect.

Try these lines out and see.  If they work, then it's only a quick edit
to use the nVidia drivers which have much better performance.

Section "Device"
   BoardName    "GeForce 6600 LE"
   BusID        "2:0:0"
   Driver       "nv"
   Identifier   "Device[0]"
   VendorName   "NVidia"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   DisplaySize  340 270
   HorizSync    30-82
   Identifier   "Monitor[0]"
   ModelName    "VIEWSONIC VX724"
   Option       "DPMS"
   VendorName   "VSC"
   VertRefresh  50-75
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   DefaultDepth 24
   SubSection "Display"
     Depth      24
     Modes      "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "768x576"
"640x480"
   EndSubSection
   Device       "Device[0]"
   Identifier   "Screen[0]"
   Monitor      "Monitor[0]"
EndSection

Matt
--
Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram
    Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/