[lug] Backup

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Mon Jan 2 11:54:37 MST 2006

On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 11:11:51AM -0700, Bear Giles wrote:

> David L. Anselmi wrote:
> >DHCP, even though it is a broadcast protocol, can be relayed across
> >routers.  ISC's suite of DHCP software will do this.  Cisco has a "DHCP
> >helper" or some such that does the same thing.  So does Microsoft.  So
> >as long as there's a relay agent on your subnet the DHCP server can be
> >anywhere.
>
> Yes, but.
>
> Yes, you can relay DHCP across routers.  But that's intended for
> enterprises, e.g., the CU campus or Comcast.  A SOHO user (practically
> by definition) is on a single subnet and probably has no more than a few
> dozen systems.

Yup, and at CU they constantly have trouble with other people's DHCP servers
messing everything up (I know because I accidentally turned one on when
playing with bootp, and it messed up the whole building).  They told me it
happened fairly regularly and that's how they tracked me down so quickly.  I
didn't think to be careful about the DHCP server because I didn't think it was
routed.  But for a small network, you probably *shouldn't* route DHCP unless
you have a good reason.