[lug] Cisco 678 and NAT

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Jan 3 20:16:42 MST 2006

David L. Anselmi wrote:

> You could use bridging mode and do the NAT on your firewall box (I don't
> think you actually need the firewall unless you have machines on the 10/
> network).  But Nate says bridging will inhibit automatic retrains.

Well, just to be careful about terminology here... retraining happens at
a lower level than the routing/bridging protocol.  The "modem" part of
the 678 will always try to "retrain" to reconnect to the upstream DSLAM,
but the problem lies in routing the packets once that layer is
re-established.  It will look like the modem is "connected" somewhere,
but packets won't always fly...

Nate