[lug] forcing certain services to use eth1 instead of eth0

Michael Belanger mrb at ciclops.org
Wed Jan 4 11:51:52 MST 2006

On Wednesday 04 January 2006 01:23, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> I agree with Kevin that setting up a different network range on the net
> interface is probably going to be the most robust in the long term and
> easiest to deal with.  In theory you can do what you want using MARK and
> iproute2, but in my experience this setup can be difficult to manage and
> understand, aided partly by extremely poor iproute2 documentation, and
> therefore can be fragile and hard to debug.

I re-configured eth1 to be on a separate subnet and this seemed to do the
trick, however, it appears that eth1's gateway is now the default.

(Fedora Core 2): If no GATEWAY is defined in the /etc/sysconfig/network, but
IS defined in network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and 1, it seems to use eth1's
setting as the default gateway.   I manually altered the default gateway to
be on eth0 and eth0's gateway, but this seems to have caused traffic routing
to eth1 to be responding with eth0 for sending mail with SMTP.

I infer from this behavior that though we ask sendmail to send from eth1,
sendmail just uses the default.

So, even though I did it this way (which is the right way), I still may have
to add some routes with MARKs to make this work as expected.  I don't think I
want eth1 to be the default route as it has far less accessibility on our
network and may break our backups and other services.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks again for all the help.

--
Michael Belanger