[lug] rpmbuild and spec files

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Jan 5 17:44:48 MST 2006

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 04:05:48PM -0700, Hugh Brown wrote:
>In my mind, rpmbuild should complain and tell me my version of lam isn't
>recent enough.

Perhaps you have mistaken the BLUG mailing list for the Red Hat/Fedora
bugzilla?  :-)  You should submit it there so that the maintainers have an
opportunity to get this suggestion.

>I played around and discovered that if I set it to <
>7.1.1-5, it won't build and complains.

How does it complain?  Like configure exits out or the build says that
symbols aren't defined?  In general, if an RPM specifies a particular
version for a dep, it's because it needs something from that version.  It's
not just randomly picked version.  The other dependencies don't have
version requirements, so if you need to build the software I'd recommend
trying to upgrade your LAM.  That may require other things to be upgraded,
so it may be problematic.  It can be work, but it you may have an
adventure.

Thanks,
Sean
--
 It usually takes me more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.
                 -- Mark Twain