[lug] forcing certain services to use eth1 instead of eth0

Michael Belanger mrb at ciclops.org
Thu Jan 5 18:21:36 MST 2006

On Thursday 05 January 2006 17:51, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 03:27:56PM -0700, Michael Belanger wrote:
> >Well.. It is a dual-gigabit machine that we were only using a single
> > interface on.  There have been instances where other services have
> > disrupted email -- specifically nfs.
>
> Ok, so if I understand you correctly, you have NFS running and you want
> SMTP on a different interface so that NFS doesn't kill SMTP.  Do you
> *REALLY* want NFS on the publicly routed interface?  Why don't you put NFS
> on eth1, not have a default route, and then put SMTP on eth0 with a default
> route.  SMTP will route over eth0,  unless it's going to machines in your
> NFS network.

I want nfs on the same network as the workstations so that it gets Gigabit
transfer rates.  eth1, being on a different subnet, all traffic passes
through the 100 Mb router/security gateway.  100 MBit is plenty for email.

What do you mean by 'publicly routed interface'?  Is that the default route?

-M

--
Michael Belanger
CICLOPS, Space Science Institute

phone. 720-974-5853   Jabber: mrb at jabber.ciclops.org
fax.   720-974-5860

DISCLAIMER:
The Sender and Cassini Imaging Central Laboratory for Operations
accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the
consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information
provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in
writing. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified
that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in