[lug] LVM and disk failure

Dan Ferris dan at usrsbin.com
Sat Jan 7 21:29:04 MST 2006

Your data goes bye bye.

LVM isn't for fault tolerance or redundancy, it's just a storage
abstraction layer.  If you want fault tolerance then you put RAID
devices into an LVM.  Just as RAID isn't designed to be expanded or resized.

I use LVM at work all the time and it saves me a large amount of grief
with the amount of data that we have.

I don't know about evms, never used it.

Dan