[lug] LVM and disk failure

Dan Ferris dan at usrsbin.com
Sun Jan 8 09:39:11 MST 2006

LVM doesn't increase or decrease robustness.  It has nothing to do with
robustness.

I can give you a real wold example of what happens when a disk in an LVM
dies..

One of my RAID 5 arrays crashed.  It was part of a 3 RAID unit LVM
running JFS.  What actually happened was that the filesystem didn't do
anything.  But I did get an email from a user at 10 PM that night that
he had files with permissions of ????????? and some files were missing
or file names had changed to garbage.  When I got the RAID unit up again
and rebooted, the filesystem fscked and everything was fine.  So while
nobody lost data, if that raid unit hadn't come back up the filesystem
would have been so corrupted nothing would have been useful.

If you read the LVM howto, you will see the part about logical extents.
Mine are set up to be 4 megabytes.  So if I had an 8 meg file and 2
disks, each disk will have half of the data.  The filesystem is the same
way.  If you loose a disk, half of the inodes in the superblock will be
gone, and your filesystem will be damaged beyond any repair.

So I guess the lesson is thus:

-Backups
-Backups
-Backups
-Use redundant disks for your physical volumes.

Dan