[lug] rpmbuild and spec files

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Tue Jan 10 14:53:26 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 17:44 -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 04:05:48PM -0700, Hugh Brown wrote:
> >In my mind, rpmbuild should complain and tell me my version of lam isn't
> >recent enough.
>
> Perhaps you have mistaken the BLUG mailing list for the Red Hat/Fedora
> bugzilla?  :-)  You should submit it there so that the maintainers have an
> opportunity to get this suggestion.
>
> >I played around and discovered that if I set it to <
> >7.1.1-5, it won't build and complains.
>
> How does it complain?  Like configure exits out or the build says that
> symbols aren't defined?  In general, if an RPM specifies a particular
> version for a dep, it's because it needs something from that version.  It's
> not just randomly picked version.  The other dependencies don't have
> version requirements, so if you need to build the software I'd recommend
> trying to upgrade your LAM.  That may require other things to be upgraded,
> so it may be problematic.  It can be work, but it you may have an
> adventure.
>
> Thanks,
> Sean

Inertia is why I haven't posted over there yet.  I'm still not quite to
the point where my pain isn't self-induced and needs to be reported as a
bug.

The rpm spec file says BuildRequires: lam >=7.1.1-5

My version is less than that.  rpmbuild processes the spec file and goes
on its merry way.

I'd expect it to do:

error: Failed build dependencies:
        lam >= 7.1.1-5 is needed by blacs-1.1-11.i386

If I set BuildRequires: lam <=7.1.1-5 and then run it, I get
error: Failed build dependencies:
        lam <= 7.1.1-5 is needed by blacs-1.1-11.i386

On the system:
rpm -q --qf='%{Name} %{Version}\n' lam
lam 7.0.6

I guess my question is: has anyone else run in to this problem and is
this bugreport-worthy.

This post was sent after great frustration in trying to get the thing to
build, before I noticed that the spec called for a more recent version
of lam (which isn't even in Fedora, so how do they build it over there)
than I had and WHY didn't rpmbuild stop me before I spent all that time.

Hugh