[lug] rpmbuild and spec files

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Jan 10 20:43:57 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 15:53 -0600, Hugh Brown wrote:

> Inertia is why I haven't posted over there yet.  I'm still not quite to
> the point where my pain isn't self-induced and needs to be reported as a
> bug.
>
> The rpm spec file says BuildRequires: lam >=7.1.1-5
>
> My version is less than that.  rpmbuild processes the spec file and goes
> on its merry way.
>
> I'd expect it to do:
>
> error: Failed build dependencies:
>         lam >= 7.1.1-5 is needed by blacs-1.1-11.i386
>

> If I set BuildRequires: lam <=7.1.1-5 and then run it, I get
> error: Failed build dependencies:
>         lam <= 7.1.1-5 is needed by blacs-1.1-11.i386
>
> On the system:
> rpm -q --qf='%{Name} %{Version}\n' lam
> lam 7.0.6
>

> I guess my question is: has anyone else run in to this problem and is
> this bugreport-worthy.
>
> This post was sent after great frustration in trying to get the thing to
> build, before I noticed that the spec called for a more recent version
> of lam (which isn't even in Fedora, so how do they build it over there)
> than I had and WHY didn't rpmbuild stop me before I spent all that time.

Hi Hugh,

Perhaps I missed some of the earlier discussion in this thread, but what
distro are you running?  I'm using FC4 on many of my machines and it
has:

  lam-7.1.1-7
  blacs-1.1-18

which are available through the combo of Core and Extras repos.  So,
with FC4, you shouldn't have to go through any pain building blacs.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307