[lug] rpmbuild and spec files

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Tue Jan 10 21:01:41 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 22:43 -0500, Ed Hill wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 15:53 -0600, Hugh Brown wrote:
> >
> > Inertia is why I haven't posted over there yet.  I'm still not quite to
> > the point where my pain isn't self-induced and needs to be reported as a
> > bug.
> >
> > The rpm spec file says BuildRequires: lam >=7.1.1-5
> >
> > My version is less than that.  rpmbuild processes the spec file and goes
> > on its merry way.
> >
> > I'd expect it to do:
> >
> > error: Failed build dependencies:
> >         lam >= 7.1.1-5 is needed by blacs-1.1-11.i386
> >

> > If I set BuildRequires: lam <=7.1.1-5 and then run it, I get
> > error: Failed build dependencies:
> >         lam <= 7.1.1-5 is needed by blacs-1.1-11.i386
> >
> > On the system:
> > rpm -q --qf='%{Name} %{Version}\n' lam
> > lam 7.0.6
> >

> > I guess my question is: has anyone else run in to this problem and is
> > this bugreport-worthy.
> >
> > This post was sent after great frustration in trying to get the thing to
> > build, before I noticed that the spec called for a more recent version
> > of lam (which isn't even in Fedora, so how do they build it over there)
> > than I had and WHY didn't rpmbuild stop me before I spent all that time.
>

> Hi Hugh,
>
> Perhaps I missed some of the earlier discussion in this thread, but what
> distro are you running?  I'm using FC4 on many of my machines and it
> has:
>
>   lam-7.1.1-7
>   blacs-1.1-18
>
> which are available through the combo of Core and Extras repos.  So,
> with FC4, you shouldn't have to go through any pain building blacs.
>
> Ed

I'm using RHEL4 which corresponds roughly with FC3 (at least in the
past, I've been able to pull SRPMS and only have to tweak them a
little).

In FC3, lam is at 7.0.6-3 in the core and blacs has a couple choices in
the FC3 extras repository.  I don't have any choice in the RHEL4 realm
(I would have just used debian and done apt-get).

The FC4 packages don't get along well with the gcc environment on RHEL4.
I suspect I'll find a way to get it all to behave (my next step is to
try and use the debian source Make files to give me a clue as to how to
get everything contented).

I guess this was more of a rant about rpmbuild.

Hugh