[lug] slightly OT - infected email rate drop?

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Wed Jan 11 10:50:45 MST 2006

Hey guys (no offense to Evelyn intended),

I manage a number of domains which use Clamav and Amavis for
email virus scanning.

It seems that these domains have seen a huge drop in infected
email (almost all containing Worm.Sober) in the last few days.

Has anyone else seen this drop?  Does anyone know the cause?

Have a bunch of users been scared into checking their computers
because of the recent WMF crisis?

Or are the infected computers zombies whose masters are simply
biding their time until their next attack?

I'm sure it's not due to Clamav simply failing to detect virii,
since there were no emails of ANY sort from the infected systems
(based on IP address) after the dropoff.

Your knowledge (or anecdotes, or scuttlebutt,etc.) would be
appreciated.

Calvin
--
Calvin Dodge