[lug] making gnome re-read config

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Jan 11 17:27:04 MST 2006

> Here is what I use in my random background Perl script:
>         system(
>                 '/usr/bin/gconftool-2', '-s',
>                 '-t', 'string',
>                 '/desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename',
>                 $new_image
>         );
> Easier to use gconftool-2.

Thanks, this one did the trick! I might still be trying to figure out
how to make it act on particular users when multiple users are running
remote X sessions, via root. Right now an individual user can use
gconftool-2 and create their own process to reconfigure based on changes
or triggers in a SQL db, the next step is to figure out how to have a
root (or special user) account run a daemon that can do this with
multiple users on different displays (probably via triggers on a
database table of preferences). Looks like the --owner might work for this.

FYI, pkill doesn't help much, since it's the window manager and gnome
environment itself which needs to reconfigure without restarting. I'd
actually tried all kinds of variations on kill without success.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net