[lug] LVM and disk failure

James Borley james.borley at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 18:32:03 MST 2006

I have successfully removed a failing drive from an lvm2 volume group,
and not lost any data, but I think I was very lucky. ;-)  However, I
have a friend who lost a drive in his volume group and was able to
recover everything except what was on the failed drive.  I don't recall
the specifics, but I know it involved upgrading lvm1 to lvm2, then
creating a place-holder for the failed drive so the filesystem would
mount.  Check out the --partial option in the LVM man page.

Good luck!
-James