[lug] Backup

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Jan 13 18:29:40 MST 2006

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 07:28:28PM -0700, Bear Giles wrote:
>I think something that got lost in the discussion is that my primary
>interest with netbooting is to set up a diskless workstation.   Once you
>have that working then it's easy to add recovery support for the disked
>systems.

My big reason for using netbooting over the last year has been installs and
rescue.  I have a netboot server set up so that I can select FC[234],
CentOS 3&4, Debian, and Ubuntu.  These are all configured such that they
fire up the install process.  I then just enable net-booting on a box and
can boot to either rescue mode or to do a fresh install, without having to
find media, etc...  Oh, it's also configured so I can run memtest86.

Very handy.

Thanks,
Sean
--
 Self-destructive people sometimes miss.  -- shapr from #python
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/