[lug] Brand and Retailer for blank DVDs and CDs? Knoppix Hard Drive Installation?

Siegfried Heintze siegfried at heintze.com
Sun Jan 15 16:00:49 MST 2006

Many thanks to Micheal, James and Kevin at the last BLUG meeting for their
help installing linux on my notebook.

The network card that Kevin donated to the raffle (that I won) does indeed
work with my antique notebook when booting Kevin's knoppix 4.0.2.

As some might recall, this notebook would not boot any of the linux distro
boot disks I have burned myself. Other computers can boot the linux distros
I burn, just not this 1999 pentium II.

After talking to Jim at PC Brokers, I was advised to get better quality
media on which to burn my linux distros. Jim suggested I get CD+-R. I was
using CD-R.

Can someone recommend a local retailer in Boulder CO? Kevin apparently used
Office Max to burn the knoppix CD he gave me.

Also: the folks at the BLUG meeting suggested I just install Knoppix 4.0.2
on my hard drive. After reading
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/HD_Install_Warning_not_to_do_it however, I'm a
little reluctant. I tried it once and my mouse and keyboard were working
fine until I rebooted for the first time after the installation. I tried
installing again and the keyboard worked but not the mouse.

Does anyone have any comments or opinions about
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/HD_Install_Warning_not_to_do_it? Perhaps this is
an old article?

Thanks,
Siegfried