[lug] Brand and Retailer for blank DVDs and CDs? Knoppix Hard Drive Installation?

Paul E Condon pecondon at mesanetworks.net
Sun Jan 15 20:48:25 MST 2006

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 04:00:49PM -0700, Siegfried Heintze wrote:
> Many thanks to Micheal, James and Kevin at the last BLUG meeting for their
>
> Also: the folks at the BLUG meeting suggested I just install Knoppix 4.0.2
> on my hard drive. After reading
> http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/HD_Install_Warning_not_to_do_it however, I'm a
> little reluctant. I tried it once and my mouse and keyboard were working
> fine until I rebooted for the first time after the installation. I tried
> installing again and the keyboard worked but not the mouse.

Knoppix is based on Debian. But its packages are not interchangeable
with debian packages, but if you can run Knoppix on a piece of
hardware, it is very likely you will have little problem installing
Debian. Do not try to use Knoppix to install Debian. Go directly to
Debian when you want an installed Linux distro. There are a lot of
Debian users locally and a very active debian-user list. You can get
good help from both.

Knoppix places strong emphasis on quick-start. Debian is the universal
distribution. In my opinion the emphasis is on strong support for
sysadmins and other serious geeks, i.e. strong support for the
developers of knoppix.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at mesanetworks.net