[lug] LVM and disk failure

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Jan 15 23:26:53 MST 2006

On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 09:17:03PM -0700, Daniel Webb wrote:
>makes it that much more likely that you'll lose the whole thing.  Sure, you
>can put it on top of RAID, but now you lost your size flexibility because RAID
>isn't so easy to resize (or is it?).  The snapshots feature is nice, that's

RAID-0 and 1 are extremely easy to extend.  See the "mdadm" option
"--grow".  Currently it only really supports RAID-1 and I imagine RAID-0
and RAID-10.

Some hardware RAID controllers can handle changing the size and even
RAID-level of arrays including RAID-5.  So, you could change from a RAID-10
array to RAID-5, or RAID-5 to RAID-10, as long as you don't mind losing
some of your capacity...

Thanks,
Sean
--
 That weapon will replace your tongue. You will learn to speak through
 it.  And your poetry will now be written with blood. -- _Dead_Man_