[lug] LVM and disk failure

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Tue Jan 17 08:51:07 MST 2006

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:17:44PM -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> >For my 1000-disk example, I'd be a little worried even with RAID.  RAID
>
> I don't understand your point...  The controller can go haywire in a single
> drive system just as easily with exactly the same results...

Difference being, with your example a single controller failure leads to a
single RAID failing, whereas with my 1000 "disk" example, a single controller
failure leads to 1000 disks failing.  By "disk" I mean 300GB or whatever the
size of each RAID is.  I realize this isn't how you would do it with 1000
drives, I was just exaggerating to make a point.