[lug] [OT] Qwest's changes Subscriber Agreement...

Nick Golder nrg at nirgo.net
Tue Jan 17 11:21:29 MST 2006

On 2006-01-17 11:02 -0700, John Hernandez wrote:
> This statement, in particular, is particularly devoid of any
> quantifiable meaning:
>
> "You agree not to use the Service for high volume or excessive use or in
> a way that impacts Qwest network resources or Qwest?s ability to provide
> services."
>
> Wouldn't it be nice to see some numbers in terms of allowable peak
> burst, sustained throughput, etc?  How can one reasonably comply
> otherwise?  Sheesh.

It's better than that - you agree to that statement regardless if you
are using Qwest as your ISP or a third-party ISP - according to the
"Service" definition.  I verbally verified that over the phone.

Another group that this affect are wireless coops.  I know a few that
are bonding DSL circuits to serve up 802.11 - this would put a damper on
that service.

> Nick Golder wrote:
> > FYI-
> > If you are a Qwest DSL customer you probably received a flyer about
> > changes to their "Qwest High-Speed Internet Subscriber Agreement."
> >
> > I had a chance to review the changes and found that Section 7 was
> > interesting.  So was Section 9.  Time to start looking for a new
> > high-speed provider.
> >
> > New agreement and FAQ:
> > http://www.qwest.com/legal/highspeedinternetsubscriberagreement/
> >

> --
>
>  |  John Hernandez - NOAA Boulder NOC - 303-497-6392
>  |  Mailstop R/OM62. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305
>  |  PGP Public Key ID: 586A7E23

-Nick Golder